[mlpack] Progress Diary and Mentors

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed May 19 17:16:55 EDT 2021

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 12:42:13PM +0530, sai_ng wrote:
> To start with, hearty congratulations to everyone who got selected, you've
> earned it. To everyone who applied and contributed, great job, I hope you
> guys stick around.

Hey Sai,

Congratulations to you too!  I'm glad that your project got selected and
I'm looking forward to following the effort. :)

> Most importantly, I want to share my progress diary so that you could
> easily hop-in and check my day-to-day progress and easily comment your
> suggestions hassle free.
> NG Sai's diary
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eC7IEBVc4QaG8-rXeMl5hSs-6g9zipB2U8JvOaCZJ2c/edit?usp=sharing>.
> I also encourage other participants to do the same.

Very cool and useful to keep a coding diary!  In general students should
provide regular updates on what they're up to during the summer coding
period, and this would totally work for that.  In the past, some
students have used a blog we host on the website, some post updates to
the mailing list; others post on Medium.  I think GDocs is just fine
too, so long as it's something that interested folks (such as myself
:-D) can check on regularly. :)

(We'll talk about this more during the GSoC intro meeting, so I only
wrote a little bit there, but that's basically all there is to status
updates, nothing too formal or anything like that.)

Ryan Curtin    | "That rug really tied the room together."
ryan at ratml.org |   - The Dude