[mlpack] GSOC 21

Omar Shrit omar at shrit.me
Mon Mar 15 05:59:08 EDT 2021

Hello Oleksandr,

Thank you for you interest in mlpack.

Evolutionary algorithms are welcomed and can be a good project, we
already have several algorithms in ensmallen such as PSO and cmaes.
I do not think that moving cmaes to mlpack would be a good idea. The
objective of ensmallen is to have all optimization methods in one place,
knowing that ensmallen was already part of mlpack.

Rust binding is a good idea too, as GNN. However, non of these ideas is
related to one another, which will make it very hard to create a solid
and consistent GSoC project, knowing that GSoC this year is shorter.
Therefore, I would concentrate on one idea and build a proposal on it,
and try to have some proof of concept in order to make the proposal more
convincing.

Hope you find this helpful.

Thanks,

Omar