[mlpack] GSOC 21

Oleksandr Nikolskyy onikolskyy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 05:29:41 EDT 2021

Hi, I am Oleksandr, CS Masters student from Bonn, Germany.

I was reading about cma es and its extensions(which is one of gsoc ideas)
and it is really interesting.Found also some additional sources about
evolution algorithms in general e.g
https://openai.com/blog/evolution-strategies/
https://blog.otoro.net/2017/10/29/visual-evolution-strategies/
Sounds also like the results of evolutional algorithms can be used for some
RL problems.I would be interested to work on a proposal for GSOC, if this
topic is still free.Currently, the cma es is living in the ensmallen
library.If working on this topic, is it a good idea to work towards the
implementation of cma-es enhancements in the mlpack package? For example to
enable bindings?

Also, I had some other ideas:

   1. Create Rust bindings
   2. Start mlpack.js, as a ready to use node package
   3. Add explicit support for graph neural networks to the ann module
   along with the core module.

Would be happy about your feedback! :) In the meanwhile, I will continue my
research on the realizability of these ideas.