[mlpack] GSOC 21

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Mar 15 11:34:50 EDT 2021

Hello Oleksandr,

right now, the implementation we have in ensmallen is not directly applicable
to the RL code that is in the mlpack repository; that said it would be an
interesting project to combine the two. In combination with an extension of the
existing CMA-ES implementation, it could make a neat project.

About the Rust bindings, I agree with Omar would be nice to have, since C++
can be used from within Rust, it might be a tangible project for this GSoC. About
the JS bindings, wondering if webassembly might be a better way to go to bring
mlpack to the web, what do you think?

I'm not sure about the Graph NN idea; supporting Graph NN's would come with a
completely new representation of the network structure we currently support, so
I'm not sure we would have enough time to implement a solid solution by the end
of the summer.

I hope anything I said was helpful, let us know if you have any further questions.