[mlpack] Gsoc 2020

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 9 09:49:08 EDT 2020

Hi Shiv,

Thanks for getting in touch.  I've responded to your questions below in
the message.

On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 09:08:36PM +0530, SHIV CHARAN SHARMA wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I am Shiv Charan . I am in 3rd year of  computer Science engineering in
> India. I have a good knowledge of C++ , Java , Python, C, Data structures
> etc.
> I am interested to take part in GSOC with MLPACK organization.
> I am interested in two projects.
>
> 1. Automatic bindings to new languages ( for java language)

Actually a PR was recently opened for Java bindings:
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/2100

So I am not sure if a project specifically devoted to Java bindings will
be necessary.  Maybe you might consider taking a look through that PR,
and then suggest some improvements or something?

> 2. Improvement of tree traversers.
> For Improvement of tree traversers while reading some archived mails , I
> found a  Thesis by Ryan Curtin   on following link:
> http://www.ratml.org/pub/pdf/2015improving.pdf
> I want to clarify that does method described in thesis is used by all tree
> implementation in mlpack ?

Yes, I wrote the thesis in tandem with the mlpack development. :)  So,
all of mlpack's tree-based algorithms use that abstraction.  It might be
easier to read the shorter paper here:

http://ratml.org/pub/pdf/2013tree.pdf

Ryan Curtin    | "She fell..."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Ludvig