[mlpack] GSOC 2019

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Tue Mar 5 18:24:53 EST 2019

Hello Bhavya,

thanks for getting in touch.

> I am mainly interested in two projects: 1) Essential deep learning modules: I
> was thinking of some possible projects like highway networks and bidirectional
> attention flow for machine comprehension but I am not sure if it would be
> feasible to train it on a question answering dataset without a GPU. Please let
> me what you think!

Good point, I'm not sure if building against NVBLAS would be helpful here, and
Bandicoot (GPU accelerator for Armadillo) is still in an early stage. However,
if you still like the challenge I think Highway Networks is still a nice idea
that could be useful for other tasks as well.

> 2) mlpack-Tensorflow translator: I find the idea of translating models trained
> using one framework to another one very interesting as it would allow
> collaboration between people who are not familiar with different frameworks. I
> was thinking of building upon the work that has been done on CLI for ANN to get
> started with this one.

Agreed, the CLI idea is definitely a nice starting point, the model
serialization might be helpful as well; see http://mlpack.org/docs/mlpack-3.0.4/
doxygen/anntutorial.html#model_saving_loading_anntut for some additional
information.

Let me know if I should clarify anything else.