[mlpack] Greetings and Some Question for MLPack

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Sat Jan 12 11:44:56 EST 2019

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 12:13:11PM +0800, problemset wrote:
> Hi, Ryan,
> Due to my schedule,  there may some time delay for the PER project
> (https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/1614). Now, I have more time
> devote to this project. I have implement the basic skeleton for the
> PER and will add unit test to do sanity check and function utility
> check.

No worries, that's just fine that there was a delay.

> So, here are some questions (sorry for bother you again):
> 1) All the unit test are placed into the test folder and use the boost
> unit test suit?

Yes, these should be just like the other tests in src/mlpack/tests/.

> 2) Can we use vector in STL rather than Armadillo, I found the
> Armadillo document is a little difficult to use for me as reference.
> Or is there any equivalent reference book/materials ?

I've never heard that the Armadillo documentation is hard to understand
and I've always thought it was pretty simple.  Basically it tries to
emulate MATLAB or Octave notation as much as possible.  You could look
at examples of its usage in mlpack and that may help.

But in any case, we should be using Armadillo for linear algebra and not
STL vectors, which are not optimized for that.  This can make a big
runtime difference.

--
Ryan Curtin    | "I like fish sticks."
ryan at ratml.org |  - Benny