[mlpack] make test failure on OS X

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 24 11:22:04 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 05:44:45PM -0600, Kevin Locke wrote:
> On 03/19/2014 05:19 PM, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> >On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 01:40:59PM -0600, Kevin Locke wrote:
> >>$ ./bin/mlpack_test -t LoadSaveTest/SaveArmaASCIITest
> >>Running 1 test case...
> >>[WARN ] Unable to detect type of 'test_file.txt'; load failed. Incorrect extension?
> >>/path/to/mlpack-1.0.8/src/mlpack/tests/load_save_test.cpp:202: fatal error in "SaveArmaASCIITest": critical check data::Load("test_file.txt", test) == true failed
> >>
> >>*** 1 failure detected in test suite "MLPACKTest"
> >>

> >>So, is this an error that I should be concerned about?  It is
> >>something related to my machine or build configuration?  Is there more
> >>that I can do to help diagnose the issue?  Any input/help is greatly
> >>appreciated.
> >
> >Hi Kevin,
> >
> >Thanks for the information.  Can you try running
> >LoadSaveTest/LoadArmaASCIITest and tell me what the result is?
> >
> >Also, about bug 296, is there a bug report in QuantLib I could reference
> >to learn more?
>
> Hi Ryan,
>
> Sure, the output is as follows:
>
> $ ./bin/mlpack_test -t LoadSaveTest/LoadArmaASCIITest
> Running 1 test case...
>
> *** No errors detected
>

> I haven't filed a bug with QuantLib yet.  I've been trying to
> isolate the issue and wasn't sure if it was in QuantLib or boost
> (the fact that something similar is happening with mlpack suggests
> it's in boost - or how boost is being used).  I'll be sure to post a
> note to that ticket when I file one with either boost or QuantLib.
> I'm also happy to test if you have any theories that need testing on
> OS X (but since I'm not having the issue with mlpack I'm not sure
> how useful it may be).

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry for the slow response -- I was out of town last week and had
spotty internet access.  Li Dong, in another thread, suggested that the
use of -std=c++11 causes the bus error issue, and I am curious if it
also causes the test failure.  Could you try compiling without
-std=c++11 and seeing if LoadSaveTest/SaveArmaASCIITest still fails?  If
it still fails, can you attach the file "test_file.txt" which should be
generated in the directory you run mlpack_test in?

I am trying to get a hold of an OS X system (or get my VM running again)
so that I can dig into this more thoroughly.

Ryan Curtin    | "And tell the engineers to wipe that stupid smile
ryan at ratml.org | off his face this time."  - Lou