[mlpack] make test failure on OS X

Kevin Locke kevin at kevinlocke.name
Mon Mar 24 12:55:29 EDT 2014

On 03/24/2014 09:22 AM, Ryan Curtin wrote:

> I'm sorry for the slow response -- I was out of town last week and had
> spotty internet access.  Li Dong, in another thread, suggested that the
> use of -std=c++11 causes the bus error issue, and I am curious if it
> also causes the test failure.  Could you try compiling without
> -std=c++11 and seeing if LoadSaveTest/SaveArmaASCIITest still fails?  If
> it still fails, can you attach the file "test_file.txt" which should be
> generated in the directory you run mlpack_test in?
>
> I am trying to get a hold of an OS X system (or get my VM running again)
> so that I can dig into this more thoroughly.

Not a problem at all.  Thanks for continuing to investigate.

I can confirm that removing -std=c++11 has no effect.  However,
recompiling without -std=c++11 and without -stdlib=libc++ (which
included recompiling boost and armadillo without -stdlib=libc++) was
successful in avoiding the error, which suggests that the issue is a
difference between libc++ and libstdc++.

For reference, I am on OS X 10.8 and my understanding is that in OS X
10.9 (Mavericks) clang++ links against libc++ by default.  So testing
differences may require -stdlib=libstdc++ on OS X 10.9 and later.

Kevin