[mlpack] make test failure on OS X

Kevin Locke kevin at kevinlocke.name
Wed Mar 19 19:44:45 EDT 2014

On 03/19/2014 05:19 PM, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 01:40:59PM -0600, Kevin Locke wrote:
>> $ ./bin/mlpack_test -t LoadSaveTest/SaveArmaASCIITest
>> Running 1 test case...
>> [WARN ] Unable to detect type of 'test_file.txt'; load failed. Incorrect extension?
>> /path/to/mlpack-1.0.8/src/mlpack/tests/load_save_test.cpp:202: fatal error in "SaveArmaASCIITest": critical check data::Load("test_file.txt", test) == true failed
>>
>> *** 1 failure detected in test suite "MLPACKTest"
>>

>> So, is this an error that I should be concerned about?  It is
>> something related to my machine or build configuration?  Is there more
>> that I can do to help diagnose the issue?  Any input/help is greatly
>> appreciated.
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks for the information.  Can you try running
> LoadSaveTest/LoadArmaASCIITest and tell me what the result is?
>
> Also, about bug 296, is there a bug report in QuantLib I could reference
> to learn more?

Hi Ryan,

Sure, the output is as follows:

$ ./bin/mlpack_test -t LoadSaveTest/LoadArmaASCIITest
Running 1 test case...

*** No errors detected

I haven't filed a bug with QuantLib yet.  I've been trying to isolate
the issue and wasn't sure if it was in QuantLib or boost (the fact that
something similar is happening with mlpack suggests it's in boost - or
how boost is being used).  I'll be sure to post a note to that ticket
when I file one with either boost or QuantLib.  I'm also happy to test
if you have any theories that need testing on OS X (but since I'm not
having the issue with mlpack I'm not sure how useful it may be).

Thanks,
Kevin