[mlpack] GSOC Cool Idea

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Tue Mar 18 16:40:27 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 04:55:26PM -0700, muresan mircea wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to participate at GSOC and I have a nice ml idea.
> I would like to implement a genetic algorithm that would generate a classifier ->  WHICH MEANS  : instaed of training a classifier i would like to generate one throught the process of selection crossover and mutation. The classifier is going to be a neural network and instead of training this neural network with back prop I could generate its synaptic weights through GA.
>
> Also since ada boost is a fairly simple algorithm i would like to implement that as well.
> I have implemented in the past ada boost and also I have trained ANN with GA, and i would like to contribute to mlpack with this algortihms.
> I hope I didn't contact you too late.
> Thank you for your time !

Hi Muresan,

Before we would be interested in this contribution, you would have to
show that your algorithm generated a classifier that performed
reasonably (with respect to classification accuracy) and did not take
incredibly long to run.

Judging by how your idea is written, it will take an extremely long time
-- especially with large datasets -- to train a classifier using genetic
algorithms.

If you are interested in AdaBoost, please take a look at the mailing
list archives to see the discussions on that project:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/

Ryan Curtin    | "Moo."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Eugene Belford