[mlpack] GSoC 2104 - Introduction: Fast k-centers algorithm

Prasad Samarakoon prasnuts at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 19:07:07 EDT 2014

Hello Everybody,

I am a PhD student at the University of Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France. I
am passionate about medical image processing and machine learning. And it
so happens that my research work is also evolved around these two aspects.

I am hoping to code my summer away by contributing to mlpack by tackling
the challenge put forth by Bill March "Fast k-centers algorithm and
implementation".

Though you find me introducing myself to the mlpack community very late, I
have been investing my time on this project during the last few weeks.
Following Ryan's advices to Wenlin (
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/000330.html) I
have downloaded, compiled and installed mlpack successfully. I have also
looked at how mlpack has implemented DTBs and abstracted trees. I am quite
comfortable with the concept of DTBs having gone through the first two
chapters of the Bill's thesis, his paper "Fast Euclidean Minimum Spanning
Tree: Algorithm, Analysis, and Applications" and the two presentations from
NIPS 2007 and KDD 2010.

Though, I am still vague on how the concept can be applied to k-centers
algorithm (and as the time is running out fast) I am hoping that you will
be able to point me in the right direction with your valuable advice. Being
very competent in C++, computation geometry and having a fair knowledge on
graph theory and machine learning, I am confident that I will be able to
render my services to mlpack community.

Thank you,
Warm Regards,
Prasad.