[mlpack] GSOC 2014: collaborative filtering package improvements

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Wed Mar 12 08:14:05 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:29:48PM +0530, Mudit Gupta wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for your mail. I have modified the project wiki accordingly.
>
> A part of QUIC-SVD has been implemented. You can check out the cosine tree
> implementation here
> https://trac.research.cc.gatech.edu/fastlab/browser/tags/mlpack-1.0.8/src/mlpack/core/tree/cosine_tree?rev=16133.
> In QUIC-SVD you have to construct the cosine tree first before SVD. Please
> go though the paper for details.
>
> You can discuss the algorithms which you plan to implement and how would
> you architect the solution. You can look into extending the executable for
> cf but I think Ryan and Ajinkya would be able to guide you on this.

The cosine tree implementation there is a good start, but it isn't
tested and needs some refactoring; currently, I think it assumes a
row-major data matrix, but data in mlpack is column-major.  It would be
a helpful start to the project, though.

--
Ryan Curtin    | "I was misinformed."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Rick Blaine