[mlpack] GSOC 2014: collaborative filtering package improvements

Mudit Gupta mudit.raaj.gupta at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 08:23:36 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM, Ryan Curtin <gth671b at mail.gatech.edu>wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:29:48PM +0530, Mudit Gupta wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thank you for your mail. I have modified the project wiki accordingly.
> >
> > A part of QUIC-SVD has been implemented. You can check out the cosine
> tree
> > implementation here
> >
> https://trac.research.cc.gatech.edu/fastlab/browser/tags/mlpack-1.0.8/src/mlpack/core/tree/cosine_tree?rev=16133
> .
> > In QUIC-SVD you have to construct the cosine tree first before SVD.
> Please
> > go though the paper for details.
> >
> > You can discuss the algorithms which you plan to implement and how would
> > you architect the solution. You can look into extending the executable
> for
> > cf but I think Ryan and Ajinkya would be able to guide you on this.
>
> The cosine tree implementation there is a good start, but it isn't
> tested and needs some refactoring; currently, I think it assumes a
> row-major data matrix, but data in mlpack is column-major.  It would be
> a helpful start to the project, though.

As Ryan mentioned, the present code is row-major. Also, cosine trees were
tested assuming row-major data matrix.
The tests for cosine trees were added in this:

https://trac.research.cc.gatech.edu/fastlab/browser/tags/mlpack-1.0.8/src/mlpack/tests/tree_test.cpp?rev=16133

The code needs refactoring and changes from row-major to column major both
in the main class and in the tests.
@Ryan will be able to take  a call if this would be required to start the
QUIC-SVD implementation.