[mlpack] GSoC - Introduction and Area of Interest.

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 3 10:06:16 EST 2014

On Mon, Mar 03, 2014 at 09:53:03AM -0500, Tejas Nikumbh wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Ryan Curtin <gth671b at mail.gatech.edu> wrote:
>>  Where is libboost_random.so (or a file with a similar name)?  It seems
>> like CMake is not finding where you have installed the Boost libraries.
>
> It seems like libboost_random.so needed to be installed seperately, which I
> did. Although, the error for program_options and unit_test_framework still
> reaminas. Does this have to do anything with my boost version (1.55.0). In
> CMake I saw something which stated some compatiblity issue.

No, the Boost version is just fine.  CMake only outputs the version
simply as an informational notice.  Where are
libboost_program_options.so and libboost_unit_test_framework.so (or
files with similar names)?  They should be under BOOST_ROOT/lib/ (or
something similar).  If Boost was compiled according to the standard
instructions, their build system (bjam I think it's called) should have
put them in lib/.

> > It's up to the student to find an adequate way to demonstrate their
> > abilities.  I am happy to take a look at any code samples that you do
> > have (or patches) and let you know what I think.
> >

> Well here are some of the Data structures I've implemented in that past
> using templates.
> https://github.com/tejasnikumbh/Datastructures/tree/master/Vector -> Vector
> https://github.com/tejasnikumbh/Datastructures/tree/master/Stack -> Stack
>
> I've implemented others too, check out the DataStructures directory if you
> have time. If not, do check out the above two. Any suggestions on
> improvement are always welcomed. They may not strictly confine to mlpack's
> standards, but I am willing to learn , work hard and coding standards
> should not be an issue.a

Ok, thank you for the link.  Be sure to include that link in your
application; although I've seen the Github link here, others who might
review your application may not have.  :)

> > Feel free to join the
> > mlpack IRC channel if you want to chat in real-time about trees
> > (assuming both of us are there at the same time...).
>
> When are you usually online? [ please specify in UTC ]

I'm always idling in the channel and I read the logs, but I am generally
in the channel and available from (UTC) 14:00 to 05:00 on weekdays.  I'm
not there 100% of the time, though, but that's the general time range in
which I'm available.

--
Ryan Curtin    | "Like, with jetpacks?"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Scott