[mlpack] GSoC - Introduction and Area of Interest.

Tejas Nikumbh tejasnikumbh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 09:53:03 EST 2014

On Sun, Mar 2, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Ryan Curtin <gth671b at mail.gatech.edu> wrote:

> You could do that, or you could also take a look at ticket #235:
>
> http://www.mlpack.org/trac/ticket/235
> https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-January/000202.html
> (and the associated replies are helpful too; no patch has been
> contributed yet)
>
> It isn't required that you submit a patch to mlpack to be considered for
> GSoC, but it is definitely helpful and shows us that you are familiar
> with the codebase and the code formatting guidelines and workflow.
>
> There are a few other tickets that are open relating to trees; you can
> take a look on the bug tracker and see if you find any of them
> interesting.

Sure. I'll have a look at the issues.

 Where is libboost_random.so (or a file with a similar name)?  It seems
>> like CMake is not finding where you have installed the Boost libraries.

It seems like libboost_random.so needed to be installed seperately, which I
did. Although, the error for program_options and unit_test_framework still
reaminas. Does this have to do anything with my boost version (1.55.0). In
CMake I saw something which stated some compatiblity issue.

> It's up to the student to find an adequate way to demonstrate their
> abilities.  I am happy to take a look at any code samples that you do
> have (or patches) and let you know what I think.

Well here are some of the Data structures I've implemented in that past
using templates.
https://github.com/tejasnikumbh/Datastructures/tree/master/Vector -> Vector
https://github.com/tejasnikumbh/Datastructures/tree/master/Stack -> Stack

I've implemented others too, check out the DataStructures directory if you
have time. If not, do check out the above two. Any suggestions on
improvement are always welcomed. They may not strictly confine to mlpack's
standards, but I am willing to learn , work hard and coding standards
should not be an issue.

Feel free to join the
> mlpack IRC channel if you want to chat in real-time about trees
> (assuming both of us are there at the same time...).

When are you usually online? [ please specify in UTC ]

Tejas Nikumbh,
Fourth Year Undergraduate,
Electrical Engineering Department,
IIT Bombay.