[mlpack] mlpack & armadillo

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Fri Dec 5 13:41:29 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 12:38:58AM +0100, Giampaolo Bellini wrote:
> Hello Ryan
>
>   I'm reading
> http://trac.research.cc.gatech.edu/fastlab/wiki/MLPACKOnWindows again...
> and found that I have no armadillo.lib in C:\usr\bin ... only armadillo.dll
> ... but I don't know how to build it.

I don't remember exactly how to do this, but I think that when you
compile Armadillo, you may have to tweak the compilation settings so
that the .lib is generated.  I'm sorry I can't provide better advice
than that; it seems like my Windows build slaves are broken right now
(typical) so I can't even test it without putting hours into debugging
stupid, overly complex compiler setup issues. :(

The process may be different with MinGW/MSYS anyway, so I'm not sure how
helpful I can be there since I don't have that set up.

> > Hello Ryan
> >
> >    I've reinstalled mingw (32) and rebuild armadillo, libxml2 and
> > libiconv...
> >
> >    ARMA_USE_HDF5 is not set in  include/armadillo_bits/config.hpp, but
> > mlpack seems to search for HDF5 anyway.

Can you attach the config.hpp file from Armadillo, the CMakeCache.txt
from the Armadillo build, and also the (partially) generated
CMakeCache.txt from the mlpack configuration?

> >    one strange thing is that "make install" install armadillo in C:\usr
> > and not into my mingw directory (C:\MinGW)

You can set CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX at configure time to set where it gets
installed, assuming that Armadillo plays nice with that (which... it
should, hopefully).

--
Ryan Curtin    | "I don't really come from outer space."
ryan at ratml.org |   - L.J. Washington