[mlpack] mlpack 1.0.11 released

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Thu Dec 11 12:17:13 EST 2014

Hello there,

At the end of the previous release I said "barring any serious bugs, the
next release will be 1.1.0" (or something to that effect).  Well, some
fairly irritating bugs were found, mostly in the testing infrastructure
and CMake configuration, so this warrants another 1.0.x release, which
in this case is mlpack 1.0.11:

  http://www.mlpack.org/files/mlpack-1.0.11.tar.gz

Here is a short list of changes (see HISTORY.txt for more):

 * Fixes for numerous intermittently failing tests.

 * Better handling of optional Armadillo HDF5 dependency.

 * Bugfixes for parameter handling in PCA and LinearRegression.

 * Better handling of SparseCoding dictionary optimization convergence.

 * math::RandomSeed() now properly sets the seed for recent versions of
   Armadillo (>= 3.930).

The benchmarks will be updated on the website in a couple of weeks when
they are finished running.  This also brings me to another interesting
announcement: the automatic benchmarking system that Marcus wrote as a
GSoC project last year and Anand improved as a GSoC project this year
was accepted to be demoed and presented at the Software Engineering for
Machine Learning workshop of NIPS 2014 in Montreal (which is,
incidentally, going on right now).  So, congratulations to Marcus and
Anand!  If you are interested in the workshop, more information is
available here:

  http://software4machinelearning.com/

Presumably the proceedings will be available sometime soon after the
workshop.

In the next few months I hope to push more towards refining some
abstractions and working out some design flaws (and also doing some
parallelization with OpenMP).  These things will definitely break the
API in some ways (probably mostly minor), so the release will be 1.1.0.

As always, if you find any bugs or have ideas for improvement, please
let us know and we can probably make it happen. :)

--
Ryan Curtin    | "The mighty hand of vengeance, sent down to strike
ryan at ratml.org | the unroadworthy!"  - The Nightrider