[mlpack] [GSoC] Regarding participation in GSoC 2013

Ryan Curtin gth671b at mail.gatech.edu
Mon Apr 29 14:45:51 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 05:03:52PM +0530, siddharth srivastava wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am a student from IIT Delhi. I have been looking at the ideas page.
> Though one of the projects
>
> "Collaborative Filtering" seems very interesting. I have prior
> experience in implementing a recommender system using geographical
> coordinates of places and ratings provided by users to various places
> in there profile.

Hello Siddharth,

There are many other responses about the collaborative filtering
project.  Take a look at these threads, for instance.  (Don't forget to
look at the replies.)

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000080.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000070.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000049.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2013-April/000044.html

> Apart from this, I would like to propose two more ideas:
>
> 1) Port mlpack to Android (I have experience of Android development).
> I would love to take up this project but would like to receive views
> from community members before proceeding.

Who is going to do large-scale statistical machine learning on their
phone?  I'm not convinced that this would be useful for anyone.  Also,
mlpack should already compile on Android (I have heard rumors of someone
who did) given that there is no real platform-specific code.

> 2) Add transfer learning algorithms (Domain Adaption like A-SVM to be
> specific) to mlpack.

Can you link to a paper (or multiple papers) on those algorithms?  I am
not familiar with them.

Ryan Curtin       | "That rug really tied the room together."
ryan at igglybob.com |   - The Dude