[mlpack] GSoC'22 Project Proposal: Better Stack Layering & Ready-to-Use Model

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 26 11:26:08 EDT 2022

Hello Shubham,

Thanks for your interest in the project. I think you are aware that Ryan is currently refactoring the ann codebase.
So when you say "This project will introduce breaking changes in ANN API." is that based on the current API or
the updated API, from the table PR? There was already some discussion on the mailing list about the DAG project:

http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2022-March/004648.html

In case you haven't seen it already. It should be possible to implement DAG without breaking the new API,
especially since it introdcues some new concepts, like the MultiLayer which we can build on.

I like the second idea as well, one thing you should keep in mind that we currently don't have GPU support
(will change soonish), that is why we focused in the past on smaller models that you can run on a resource
constrained device, mobilenet is one example. So in your proposal I would go through the list and select reasonable
models, also, you should check if one of the models require the implemenation of a non implemented operation.

I hope anything I said was helpful, let me know if I should clarify anything further.

Thanks
Marcus