[mlpack] GSoC '21

CED18I048 SHAH ANWAAR KHALID ced18i048 at iiitdm.ac.in
Wed Mar 10 19:37:50 EST 2021

Hello mentors!

I’m Shah  Anwaar Khalid, currently a 3rd year student at IIITDM, Chennai,
India. I’ve been working with mlpack for quite some time, and have been
familiarizing myself with the ANN codebase.

I wish to spend this summer working with mlpack under GSoC ‘21. I’m
particularly interested in working on improving the GAN class of mlpack and
I hope to get some suggestions on improving my proposal through this
thread. I apologize, in advance, in case this email gets too long.

After exploring the GAN class for quite some time now, i’ve realized that
there are still a lot of open pull requests on GANs that have some pending
work. Furthermore, a lot of state of the art GAN models have not yet been
implemented. So, in my project I want to finish the pending work in the
open pull requests and extend the functionality of GAN class by
implementing some of new models that have come up in the last couple of
years.

I’m interested in the following pull requests:

   1.

   Dual Optimizer for GANs <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/1888>
   2.

   Label smoothing in GANs <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/1915>
   3.

   Frechet Inception Distance <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/1939>
   4.

   Cycle GANs <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/pull/1497>

I’m also interested in adding the following GAN models:

2. Pix2Pix

3. StyleGAN

I’ve started working on dual optimizer PR and hope to finish it before
GSoC. I’ll write a more detailed mail describing the components of Pix2Pix
and StyleGAN once I get some feedback on this.

Thanks and Regards

Shah Anwaar Khalid

GitHub: hello-fri-end