[mlpack] mlpack accepted to Google Summer of Code 2021!

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Mar 10 18:21:45 EST 2021

Hello there everyone,

Yesterday Google announced that mlpack has been accepted as a mentoring
organization to Google Summer of Code 2021!  I'm happy to hear this
news; this will be our eighth year participating in the program.  Hard
to believe it has been that many years we've been a part of the program.

This typically means that there will be a lot of mailing list, chat
channel, and Github activity in the leadup to GSoC and during the
summer.  Each year there are always lots of contributions both in the
spring months and during the summer, and lots of new contributors.  So,
a warm welcome to anyone who comes to our community via GSoC (or any
other means :)).

Of course, this increased activity means there are lots of issues and
PRs and unfortunately this means there are generally more questions and
requests than mlpack's mentors and maintainers can handle.  So, if
you're new to the community, keep in mind that writing code isn't the
only way to help out!  It's just as helpful to answer others' questions
and review other PRs as to contribute code.

Anyway, I'm excited about another year of GSoC!  I've got a pile of
envelopes, stamps, and stickers to send to new contributors, so
hopefully I will get to put them to good use. :)

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "Get out of the way!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Train Engineer Assistant