[mlpack] Revamp mlpack bindings GSoC Report

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Thu Aug 26 22:31:01 EDT 2021

On Sat, Aug 21, 2021 at 01:34:08AM +0530, Nippun Sharma wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I hope you all are healthy and safe.
>
> It has been a great experience contributing to mlpack.
> mlpack is the first project that I have ever contributed to.
> This was possible because the mlpack community is very
> friendly to newcomers.
>
> mlpack has also helped me improve my technical skills and learn
> a lot more about c++ and development than what I knew when I
> first started. At the end of the GSoC period, I do feel a sense of
> achievement.
>
> I thought that this would be a very difficult refactoring but my mentors:
> Ryan, James and Yashwant kept supporting and motivating me.
> It would not have been possible to make this progress without them.
>
> I will continue to make contributions to the mlpack codebase in the future
> as well.
>
> I have prepared a report for the current progress of my project
> that you all can see here
> <https://github.com/NippunSharma/GSoC-2021-Work-Report>.

Hey Nippun,

Sorry that I am slow in responding here (it has been an awfully busy
week).  You are right that we did face a bunch of obstacles in this
project, but I am really excited that you managed to overcome them.
Great work!  I'm looking forward to getting #3030 merged, and then we
can start blasting through the bindings and grouping them to provide a
nice 'class' interface in Python.

The "results" section makes my mouth water a little bit (or, maybe I am
just hungry, not sure). :)

--
Ryan Curtin    | "I don't really want to do that."
ryan at ratml.org |  - Manny Calavera