[mlpack] GSoC 2020 Ideas

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Wed Mar 11 17:35:12 EDT 2020

Hello Andrei,

1. RL: I've taken a more in-depth look on the reinforcement learning module. The
DQN, Double DQN and prioritized replay are already implemented, so as part of
the rainbow the remaining components are Dueling networks, Multi-step learning,
Distributional RL, Noisy. Therefore, I suggest finishing the implementation of
the Rainbow DQN and then an implementation of the ACKTR algorithm.

Sounds totally reasonable to me.

2. Applications of ANN: Implementing a U-Net or DeepLabv3 architecture for
semantic segmentation.

I like both models, also good that you mentioned you like to focus on either
U-Net or DeepLabv3.

I would like to know if the ideas above would make enough for a summer project
for each of the two sections.

Definitely, a big part of each project is documentation and testing, writing
good tests takes time.

Let me know if I should clarify anything further.