[mlpack] Regular mlpack video chats (in 2020)

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Jan 20 15:36:41 EST 2020

Hey everyone,

Let's have another video meetup this week!  We can do Wednesday, Jan.
22nd, at 2200 UTC.

Unfortunately, I'll be traveling, so it's not clear whether or not I'll
be able to join.  But I'll try to set up the Zoom in such a way that I
don't need to be there for the Zoom to work.

Here's the link to the Zoom:

https://zoom.us/j/3820896170

I'll send a reminder email a few hours before the meeting on Wednesday.
:)

On Sun, Dec 22, 2019 at 09:59:24PM -0500, Ryan Curtin wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I'm really sorry that I have been so slow to act on this.  Most of the
> end of November and December so far have been traveling, so it's been
> hard for me to keep up.  But in any case...
>
> I would say that the mlpack video meet-up that we did a handful of weeks
> ago was a success, and many people said that they'd like to do it more
> often.  So I think that we should set up something regular---but, given
> that it's the end-of-year break for many people, let's wait until 2020
> to get these going.
>
> To keep it simple, here's my proposal, based on the time survey results
> from the poll I sent out many weeks ago:
>
>  * We can have a video meet-up every two weeks, for an hour.
>
>  * We'll alternate scheduling to accomodate timezones around the world:
>    one time, it'll be Thursday at 1800 UTC.  The next time, it'll be on
>    Wednesday at 2200 UTC.
>
>  * Like before, we won't have any specific agenda.  So the video
>    meet-ups are useful in that we can talk about anything (perhaps even
>    debugging, etc.), and there's no preparation necessary beforehand.
>    In fact I think it's perfectly okay if nobody even talks about
>    mlpack.
>
> We can be flexible on those times if we need; I'm just going off the
> survey results.  And this of course doesn't preclude any other video
> meetings or meet-ups that people want to do. :)
>
> We can start the second week of January (so, Thursday, January 9th, 1800
> UTC).  We can make sure a reminder email gets sent for anyone that's
> interested, and we can use Zoom again, since NumFOCUS has provided us
> with a paid Zoom account.
>
> Feel free to respond with any thoughts or questions. :)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ryan
>
> --
> Ryan Curtin    | "So I just, uh... I just cut them up like regular
> ryan at ratml.org | chickens?" - Henry Spencer

Ryan Curtin    | "Give a man a gun and he thinks he's Superman.
ryan at ratml.org | Give him two and he thinks he's God."  - Pang