[mlpack] [ Build System ]

Ryan Birmingham rainventions at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 19:18:14 EST 2020

Hi Nakul!

As I'm sure you've noticed, mlpack's cmake configuration is pretty
complicated! In addition, cmake itself is also a little confusing, modern
or otherwise. As a result, it's pretty easy to fall into bad/old practices
if working from something existing. To this end, I think a good way to
understand cmake's behavior with modern features is to work with a much
simpler library or something of the sort more or less from scratch to get a
feel for it. I've found that useful personally.
Another way to approach this would be to break "modern cmake" into a few
smaller pieces and see if you can do just one at a time.

I hope this is at least some amount of help,

-Ryan Birmingham