[mlpack] Participation in MLH fellowship program

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Aug 26 22:46:52 EDT 2020

This seems like a cool opportunity!  I'm not totally clear on how this
works, but it seems like MLH assigns an external full-time mentor for a
particular project.  I assume that internally we'd need a couple
"internal" mlpack mentors too to help guide efforts in the right
direction.

Anyway, if anyone is interested, please do feel free to work with other
potential "internal" mentors and put together a proposal and submit it!
It seems also like we are not limited to one proposal per library, so we
could probably submit a few if we liked.

Machine learning is very trendy so I feel like mlpack has a nice
advantage for getting backing and winning grants, especially because of
its position as a completely open-source library not maintained by a
company. :)

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 05:53:39PM +0530, Jeffinsam UR16CS203 wrote:
> Hey everyone, Hope you all are doing well
>

> MLH has announced a new fellowship program backed by Facebook and Github
> where students spend 3 months working on an open-source project.
>

> It is similar to Google Summer of Code. The only difference is that a
> single student is not mapped to a single mentor. There could be 2-3
> students in a pod and they can work together and raise PRs (Basically pod
> comes under one org) and then any of us can review it. Which is what
> happens all the more every time. So I think it doesn’t change much in the
> sense of workload on a particular person. But we could benefit by applying
> to the program since we would get some more visibility. If someone from the
> community has the bandwidth can apply mlpack for the program.
>

> Here is the link: https://fellowship.mlh.io/maintainers.
>

> Some of the pending task/roadmap ahead
>

> Migrate Tests from boost framework to Catch2 framework
> <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2523> (Easy)
>
> Refactor CMake binding configuration
> <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2581> (Easy)
>
> Add manual type specification support to `data::Load()` and `data::Save()`
> <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2084> (Easy)
>
> Adding More Augmentation. <https://github.com/mlpack/models/issues/21>
>  (Easy)
>
> Add Some Examples, models to models and examples repo (Easy)
>
> Javascript Binding / Or some other language (Difficult)
>
> Add New algorithms to benchmarks Repo (Easy)
>
> Revamp CMake configuration to "modern" CMake
> <https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2113> (Difficult)
>

> I could go ahead and apply too :), but if there is someone who would like
> to, they are more than welcome, I would surely be there to assist you or be
> a co-reviewer.
>

> Thanks
>
> --
> <https://about.me/jeffinsam?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel&utm_content=thumb>
> Jeffin sam
> ur16cs203
> jeffinsam.me <http://www.jeffinsam.me>

Ryan Curtin    | "Kill them, Machine... kill them all."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Dino Velvet