[mlpack] Participation in MLH fellowship program

Jeffinsam UR16CS203 jeffinsam at karunya.edu.in
Tue Aug 25 08:23:39 EDT 2020

Hey everyone, Hope you all are doing well

MLH has announced a new fellowship program backed by Facebook and Github
where students spend 3 months working on an open-source project.

It is similar to Google Summer of Code. The only difference is that a
single student is not mapped to a single mentor. There could be 2-3
students in a pod and they can work together and raise PRs (Basically pod
comes under one org) and then any of us can review it. Which is what
happens all the more every time. So I think it doesn’t change much in the
sense of workload on a particular person. But we could benefit by applying
to the program since we would get some more visibility. If someone from the
community has the bandwidth can apply mlpack for the program.

Here is the link: https://fellowship.mlh.io/maintainers.

Some of the pending task/roadmap ahead

Migrate Tests from boost framework to Catch2 framework
<https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2523> (Easy)

Refactor CMake binding configuration
<https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2581> (Easy)

Add manual type specification support to `data::Load()` and `data::Save()`
<https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2084> (Easy)

Adding More Augmentation. <https://github.com/mlpack/models/issues/21>
 (Easy)

Add Some Examples, models to models and examples repo (Easy)

Javascript Binding / Or some other language (Difficult)

Add New algorithms to benchmarks Repo (Easy)

Revamp CMake configuration to "modern" CMake
<https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/2113> (Difficult)

I could go ahead and apply too :), but if there is someone who would like
to, they are more than welcome, I would surely be there to assist you or be
a co-reviewer.

Thanks

--
<https://about.me/jeffinsam?promo=email_sig&utm_source=product&utm_medium=email_sig&utm_campaign=edit_panel&utm_content=thumb>