[mlpack] Bug in Cover tree

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Tue Jan 15 14:13:48 EST 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 03:09:00PM +0200, Yury Elkin wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I think that I might have found a bug in the implementation of cover tree.
> I was solving a nearest neighborhood problem, where I have points in 3D as
> query set and segments in 3D as reference.(For every point I try to find
> closest segment). I use cover tree for this, with euclidean metric (closest
> point to a segment, this is a library function in CGAL-library).

Hi Yury,

Thanks for getting in touch.  I read through your email a couple of
times, but I realized that I don't have enough information to diagnose
whether or not this is actually a bug.  Could you please provide a
minimum working example that demonstrates the bug?

I'm not saying it's impossible that there is a cover tree bug---that
structure is quite complex and indeed there could be an issue.  Given
that complexity, then, if I am going to find the time to debug it I need
to have a simple example to work from.

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "Get out of the way!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Train Engineer Assistant