[mlpack] GSoC query

Manish Kumar manish887kr at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 12:28:23 EDT 2018

I went through the paper you attached the link to. It mainly describes the
LMNN gradient based solver. But there I found something that can be a
little demotivating for SDP approach. Please tell me what do you think?

"The semidefinite program in the previous section grows in complexity with
the number of training examples(n), the number of target neighbors (k), and
the dimensionality of the input space (d).  In particular, the objective
function is optimized with respect to O(kn2) large margin constraints of
type(a)and(b), while the Mahalanobis distance metric itself is ad×dmatrix.
Thus, for even moderately large and/or high dimensional data sets, the
required optimization(though convex) cannot be solved by standard
off-the-shelf packages (Borchers, 1999)."

https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1390302
Please see page 3, First Paragraph of Solver section.

Sorry, if I am disturbing you a lot.