[mlpack] GSoC query

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Fri Mar 16 10:49:13 EDT 2018

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 08:18:10PM +0530, Manish Kumar wrote:
> Thanks Ryan for helping me out. I got little anxious by learning the fact
> that LMNN+LRSDP may not work and was thinking that my GSoC project may go
> futile.
>
> I do want to continue LMNN+LRSDP. I also see a good opportunity to do
> something new while working on LMNN+LRSDP and that's why I never planned to
> leave it but was looking for a perfect time for a project like this.
>
> I will stick to the proposal and will try to achieve the results.
>
> I just want to propose a little modification to the proposal. Tell me, if
> that sounds fair.
> I went through BoostMetric literature and find it as a significant
> improvement over LMNN. So, can we at least include BoostMetric as a part of
> the project apart from LMNN. I am sure that it will be a pretty good
> addition and currently except author's implementation there is no other
> implementation out there. Moreover, existing implementation takes the
> exponential loss into consideration and we may include implementation based
> on logistic loss function which shows improvement over the exponential one.
> If that's okay, I will make some small changes to timeline and proposal.
> This way we could have some pretty awesome metric learning algorithms.

That sounds reasonable to me.  I think that BoostMetric is a
generalization of LMNN, so maybe through some clever templatization you
can support the other components.  I haven't read the paper in detail
though so I am not fully sure.

--
Ryan Curtin    | "Do they hurt?"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Jessica 6