[mlpack] Google Summer of Code - 2018

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sun Mar 11 13:54:43 EDT 2018

Hello Hassan,

welcome and thanks for getting in touch.

> I have implemented YOLO detector, SSD and Segnet for segmentation and have
> achieved an accuracy of 89% using YOLO and 67% using SSD in real time.
> Currently, I am working to combine Segnet for segmenting the vehicles and
> feeding them to Detection Net.

That sounds really interesting, the capabilities of YOLO are really good, I
think you can get about 50-60 FPS on a decent GPU?

> I have a vivid concept about the implementation of the project. I have worked in
> Python for implementing Convolution Neural Networks, mostly. However, I am
> proficient in C++ too. So, I am confident that I will be able to complete it in
> summer.
>
> I would like to have a detail discussion with you on this project.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions about the project either over the mailing
list or on IRC (#mlpack).

> Regarding Variational Autoencoders project, I do not have much of the expertise
> in generative models but I have used MNIST dataset for learning generative
> models.  I have skim through the 'Tutorial on Variational AutoEncoders' paper
> which includes the detailed mathematical explanation of the proposed model. My
> idea is that this project is research oriented.

At this point we are mostly interested in the standard implementation, it should
be possible to use the existing classes (FFN, linear layer); but I agree this
project could include a research component.

> Please do let me know, what is expected from me, for the project proposal? What
> kind of skills, in particular, do I need to exhibit in my proposal? Suggestions
> regarding how should I proceed with the project or any alternative approach that
> you have in mind?

The Application Guide (https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/wiki/Google-Summer-of-
Code-Application-Guide) should be useful here.

I hope anything I said was helpfu, let me know if I should clarify anything.