[mlpack] Google Summer of Code 2018

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Jan 15 10:12:36 EST 2018

Hello Luca,

A good first step is to become very familiar with mlpack's abstractions and
implementation. For the particle swarm project, you can look at the Optimizer
API https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.06581 or at the existing code:
https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/tree/master/src/mlpack/core/optimizers; that
might be a good place to start.

For the reinforcement learning and profiling project, there is a fair amount of
discussion about both from previous years, as they are recurring projects. Here
is an example:

http://knife.lugatgt.org/pipermail/mlpack/2017-March/thread.html

The String Processing project is not polished yet and is in need of updating,
unfortunately, we haven't had a chance to get around to it yet. So,
unfortunately, you'll have to spelunk for further documentation on how the
project can work.

Also in case, you haven't seen it: mlpack.org/gsoc.html and
www.mlpack.org/involved.html might be helpful.

I hope this was helpful, don't hesitate to ask if we should clarify anything.