[mlpack] Google Summer of Code 2018

Luca Foschiani foschiani01 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 09:04:22 EST 2018

Hello,
I'm a computer science student at the University of Udine (Italy).
I got my bachelor's degree (in computer science) in 2016 and I'm currently
working towards my master's degree. My studies are focused on optimization
algorithms and artificial intelligence.

Some time ago I heard about Google Summer of Code and I began reading about
it.
I thought it would be a really interesting opportunity, so I started
learning more about the organizations which were involved in the 2017 GSoC
and mlpack is one of them. I also briefly read the descriptions of the 2017
projects which were done by past students.

The main reasons why I'm interested in mlpack are that C++ is the language
which I used the most during the past few years (both for academic purposes
and for personal projects), and artificial intelligence (machine learning
in particular), together with optimization are the main topics of my
master's degree.

I have already read the ideas for GSoC 2018, and they seem interesting to
me. In particular, particle swarm optimization, reinforcement learning,
string processing, profiling caught my attention, but I would be interested
in pretty much any other idea as well (among the ones listed in the page).

I just wanted to ask if you could point me in the right direction in order
to start thinking about what I could do for mlpack.

Thank you,
Luca Foschiani