[mlpack] Robotic Arm - GSoC Project Idea

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 25 08:09:24 EST 2018

Hello Vaibhav,

thanks for getting in touch.

> One of your project, Robotic Arm, specially catches my eye as I have previously
> worked on a fair amount of projects based on robotic manipulators and humanoid.
> One of them also includes a gesture-controlled robotic arm in which a robotic
> arm mimics the motion of the user's arm. I have also worked on ROS and gazebo
> simulator. It would be an interesting idea to use mlpack with ROS which could
> give Gazebo more flexibility.

That sounds really interesting, I was also thinking about using ROS for the
simulation, I'm not a ROS expert but do you think that is a good option as e.g.
compared to a simple python OpenGL script? There are two points that I think are
important, performance: the training is going to consume all resources, so the
simulator should not be demanding; easy to install, I think everyone likes to
keep the number of dependencies low. Let me know what you think.

> Right now, I have build and gone through some tutorials on mlpack. I am trying
> to get more familiar with mlpack's codebase. If you can give me some pointers
> for the project, it would be awesome. Thanks.

Sounds good, for this project the ann and RL code is especially important, so
taking a closer look at the tests is a good way to get familiar with that part
of the codebase.

Let me know if I should clarify anything.