[mlpack] [GSoC'18] Reinforcement Learning

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Wed Feb 14 05:08:20 EST 2018

Hello Vaibhav,

welcome, thanks for getting in touch.

> My research domain is Artificial Intelligence, specifically Reinforcement
> Learning & Multi-agent Systems in Machine Learning Lab, IIIT Hyderabad. I am
> doing my research under Prof. Praveen Paruchuri and Prof. Balaraman Ravindaran.
> I have past open source experience of contributing to ZENODO(CERN). Also, I was
> selected as intern in The Linux Foundation where my project revolved around
> coming up with various performance metrics for object storage.

That's sounds really interesting, what did you do at ZENODO, if you don't mind
to share that information.

> I have gone through the project idea list of mlpack and found the project idea
> Reinforcement Learning really interesting. I have read papers on Double DQN /
> Playing Atari with deep reinforcement learning and have fairly good
> understanding of these. Attached is the exhaustive list of papers that I have
> implemented and read as part of research work.  I am an enthusiast in
> reinforcement learning and am ready to read and learn on the go as the need be.
>
> Since I am new to mlpack please let me know as to how can I get started. Also
> since, there are no relevant tickets open at this time, please suggest me know
> how to proceed.

Getting familiar with the codebase especially
src/mlpack/methods/reinforcement_learning/ should be the first step. Running the
tests: (rl_components_test.cpp) 'bin/mlpack_test -t RLComponentsTest' and
(q_learning_test.cpp) 'bin/mlpack_test -t QLearningTest' should help to
understand the overall structure.

If you like you can work on a simple RL method like (stochastic) Policy
Gradients and use that to jump into the codebase, but don't feel obligated.

Also, the methods listed on the ideas page are just suggestions, so if you have
an interesting method in mind you like to work on, let me know.