[mlpack] Get participation in GSoC 2018

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Feb 7 09:57:58 EST 2018

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 06:55:48PM +0000, Hao Chen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Hao Chen. I’m an 3rd year Electrical and Electronics
> Engineering Student at the University of Edinburgh.
>
> I would like to participate GsoC 2018 and I’m extremely interested in
> mlpack’s Essential Deep Learning Module and Reinforcement Learning
> projects.
>
> Though I’m an EE student, I’ve enrolled a machine learning course and
> a NLP course. I’m also studying several deep learning courses online.
> I know basic C++ knowledge and I’m good at C and python.
>
> So I might do BRNN of Essential Deep Learning. I’ve read the get
> involved guide and I’m planning to start from the mlpack code and mail
> archives. Can someone give me more suggestions about this year’s GsoC?

Hi Hao,

I think you are on the right track.  Maybe some additional ideas would
be to see if you can identify any slowdowns in the existing RNN code, or
add some example usage or RNNs (or something else).  Take a look at
Eigene Freyman's PR in the models repository
(https://github.com/mlpack/models) and maybe this could give you some
ideas---it's always helpful to add examples, and it may help inspire the
API that you would want to provide to a user for BRNNs.

Ryan Curtin    | "Because for the people who knew what it was, it
ryan at ratml.org | would be attacking their brain."