[mlpack] Participation in GSoC 2018

Artem Fedoskin afedoskin3 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 12:18:28 EST 2018

Hello Marcus,

Thank you for your reply!

That sounds interesting, can you tell us more about the project you worked
> on?

There is a planetarium program called KStars that is a part of KDE
Education package. This program allows you see the map of the night sky,
explore different space objects, control your telescope and a lot of other
amateur astronomy-related stuff. My task was to make an Android version
called KStars Lite that would share the same codebase (though I migrated
the whole graphics part to the new graphical backend, the data part is
still the same). You can check my work on this page (nickname: polaris)
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/archive/2016/projects/5053062041305088/
and try it yourself on your Android device
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.kde.kstars.lite.
I was working with Qt framework that is based on C++ so I have some C++
background.

There is definitely room to extend/improve the existing collaborative
> filtering
> framework, there might even be the option to combine deep learning with
> collaborative filtering: https://github.com/robi56/Deep-Learning-for-
> Recommendation-Systems

That sounds very interesting! I will definitely look at the papers and read
the ones I like.

We are trying to add new entrance issues over the next days,

That would be very nice, thank you very much.

Regards, Artem