[mlpack] MLPACK INSTALLATION

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Mon Sep 18 15:29:40 EDT 2017

Hello Aravind,

thanks for getting in touch!

> I am new to mlpack and using ubuntu 17.04 and I tried the mlpack ubuntu build
> tutorial but am facing some problems regarding building it. can I get help for
> it, What I did was I downloaded the .tar.gz file it said unpack, where should I
> unpack? and where to create folder 'build' ?

Once the mlpack source is unpacked (wherever you like), you should create a
build directory inside the unpacked folder e.g. for mlpack 2.2.5 it's
mlpack-2.2.5. Here are the basic commands:

curl http://www.mlpack.org/files/mlpack-2.2.5.tar.gz <http://www.mlpack.org/files/mlpack-2.2.5.tar.gz> --output mlpack-2.2.5.tar.gz
tar -zxvf mlpack-2.2.5.tar.gz
cd mlpack-2.2.5
mkdir build
cmake ..
make

> And when I tried the os package manager it said not found.

Can you tell us which dependency the package manager couldn't find? Or did you
mean mlpack?

Also, maybe it's a good idea to join #mlpack (IRC), that way we can probably
give you a more 'real-time' response.