[mlpack] mlpack Contribution

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon May 1 15:36:10 EDT 2017

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 12:22:37AM +0530, Ankit Aggarwal wrote:
> Hi Ryan
>
> I was going through the "Tree independent Dual tree Algorithm" paper(wrote
> by you) which talks about the some of the algorithms.
>
> Can you explain how does the tight upper bound of k-nearest neighbor work
> intuitively?
>
> "The basic problem is: given a set of points and integer k, choose k points
> that minimize the maximum distance between a point in the set and its
> nearest neighbor in the set"
>
> How are you thinking to extend it to Dual tree algorithms?

Hi Ankit,

The upper bounds that are used in dual-tree nearest neighbor search are
fairly straightforward extensions of the triangle inequality.  The
bounds are simply bounds on the furthest possible distance between a
query point and its k-nearest neighbor.  If you'd like further
clarification, you can consult the references of the paper or you can
also read my Ph.D. thesis for a longer version.

For developing the k-centers algorithm, the idea will center around
determining when you can prune a point from a particular set.

Realistically I would say that if you are not 100% familiar with
dual-tree algorithms, it would be very difficult to quickly come up with
a solution to this problem.

Ryan Curtin    | "I'm just going to shoot you once!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Joseph Dunn