[mlpack] Essential Deep Learning Modules

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 2 08:35:35 EST 2017

Hello Tejan,

> First of all, I would like to congratulate mlpack for getting accepted once
> again for GSoC!

thanks and welcome, this summer is going to be awsome!

> I am new in the field of Machine Learning, which I started only a few months
> back with Prof. Ng's course on Coursera. My area of interest lies in Neural
> Networks and previously I have worked on training a game bot using Genetic
> Algorithm. While going through the list of Project ideas, "Essential Deep
> Learning Modules" caught my eye. I am currently reading about the models listed
> to work on this project. I want to be long term contributor for mlpack. Kindly
> guide me in getting started.

Have you searched through the list archives for other messages about the
Essential Deep Learning project?

http://mlpack.org/pipermail/mlpack/

There is a lot of information that has been written about this project over the
past years.

In general, to be successful at this project, you should have a good knowledge
of deep learning; i.e., you should be familiar with the way deep neural networks
are typically built and trained, and certainly you should be familiar with the
individual components that you plan to implement.

There are some easy issues on GitHub that you might find interesting, we will
see if we can add more in the next days. Besides that, any contributions of new
techniques or efficiency improvements for existing implementations are always
welcome.

I hope this is helpful, let us know if you have any more questions.