[mlpack] Google summer of code

KRISHNA KANTH MUNDADA es14btech11013 at iith.ac.in
Tue Mar 22 15:02:57 EDT 2016

Hello,

I went through the project list of mlpack for gsoc 2016 and really liked
the "Implement Tree types". I had a few questions(listed below) regarding
the proposal submission and would be glad to get them answered.

   1. I have previously implemented some of the listed trees(vantage point
   tree,k-d tree, etc) for academic purposes but haven't put any of them
   online as it could have conflicted with our plagiarism policy. Is it a good
   idea to submit a piece of that code or the complete code as a part of the
   proposal? And if yes, by what means? Do I add a link to that code after
   putting it up on github or do I directly write the code in the proposal or
   is there any other way that you'd suggest?
   2. The description asks us to choose any three trees for implementation
   and submit a proposal around it. Will it be better if I suggest that I can
   do more than three trees since I do not see an issue in doing so(I may be
   wrong since I am comparing with the trouble It took to write the code for
   our academics.So please clarify if I am missing some thing). Should I add
   more trees than that is required in the proposal?
   3. Is there a chance to change the trees we are going to implement after
   acceptance of proposal(With permission of mentor). Like for example in the
   proposal I submit, I have written that I'll complete trees x,y and z but
   later due to some reason I wish to do x,y and a. Is it okay to do so with
   the mentors permission?

I'd be grateful if you could quickly answer my queries.
Thanking you,

Regards,
M.Krishna kanth,