[mlpack] Inquiry about further information for GSoC

Marcus Edel marcus.edel at fu-berlin.de
Sat Mar 19 07:26:25 EDT 2016

Hello Boyue,

There has been a lot of discussion on the mailing list already about
the two projects. Here are some links:

Implement tree types:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000760.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-March/000316.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2014-February/000265.html

Parallel stochastic optimization methods

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000748.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000752.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000903.html

Essential Deep Learning Modules

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000805.html
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/2016-March/000842.html

It may be a good idea to search the mailing list archives more thoroughly:
https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/

> Please kindly tell me how many types of trees I should choose for Implement tree
> types and are there many competitors for the three ideas? And what is my chance
> to be selected?

A good project will select a handful of architectures and implement them with
tests and documentation. Writing good tests is often the hardest part, so keep
that in mind when you create your project timeline.

No decisions will be made until the application phase ends, so you are free to
send your application for any of the projects.

I hope this is helpful, let me know if I can clarify anything.