[mlpack] GSoC 2016 Project : Implement Tree Types

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Fri Mar 18 01:20:48 EDT 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 09:13:38PM +0530, DIPESH PATEL wrote:
> Hello developers,
>
> I am Dipesh Patel, 1st Year M.E. Computer Science student from India.
>
> I am planning to apply for Tree Types Implementation Project in GSoC 2016.
> I have been going through TreeType Policy in mlpack and understood it well.
> I have already tried simple examples to get familiar with mlpack API.
>
> I also have experience with implementing Multi-threaded Trees (ClusTree,
> Bayes Tree(BT*) etc.) in C for research project in our university. Most of
> the trees that I have worked on are used for any-time/incremental
> clustering/classification.
>
> I am planning to propose ClusTree and few other static variants of R-Trees
> according to TreeType policy for GSoC project.
>
> Please give some feedback on my idea for the proposal.
>
> If possible, Can you please suggest which type of trees will add more value
> to mlpack library?
>
> Your suggestions will really help in understanding type of trees which are
> really important in terms of boosting time complexity in machine learning
> algorithms.
>
> Any help will be highly appreciated.

Hi Dipesh,

There's no need to send your email to the list twice; I saw it, but was
not able to respond until now.

These seem like reasonable trees to implement.  Trees that would add
more value to mlpack would be those that perform well with mlpack's
dual-tree algorithms.  Unfortunately it's difficult to say exactly which
trees those will be, so, I'm open to lots of ideas here.  If you are
interested in implementing the multithreaded trees that you suggested,
please do be sure to detail how they work in your proposal, since I am
not familiar with those algorithms.

Ryan Curtin    | "I am."
ryan at ratml.org |   - Joe