[mlpack] GSoC '16: Introduction and Project ideas discussion

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Mon Mar 14 10:01:05 EDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 01:14:45AM +0530, Vivek Pal wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>

> I want to give an update about my current situation as application period
> for GSoC opens from tomorrow. Last few days, I couldn't spend much time on
> preparing an early draft of my proposal due to(may be it is some bad luck)
> the reason that I have exams from coming Monday (right when application
> period starts :-/) Therefore, I was busy preparing for it and hence
> couldn't devote fair amount of time to interact in the project community. *I
> seriously apologize for that. I do have full intentions to not to lose grip
> on this side of my focus due to exams. *I have actually planned the rest of
> my days in the following manner :-
>

> *I will do some small but crucial tasks in the exam week like reading
> required papers and try to gather as much information I can which will help
> me later on**. **Although, good thing is that the exams will get over by
> 18th March which gives me 7 days(18 - 24th March) before the application
> period ends to refine my proposal.** I will direct my full attention, time
> and energy towards working on this project from 18th evening. So, I'll get
> my first rough draft ready and request to get feedback by 20th March. *
>

> I know it might be less time but I can literally devote my whole day into
> getting my proposal in good shape once my exams get over in order to get up
> to speed quickly. Also, since I have everything set up already now, I'll
> get familiar with in's and out's of the code base and how to use it.
>

> I hope you understand my situation.

Hi Vivek,

I think your exams are more important than mlpack. :)

There is no requirement for students to be interacting with the
community and solving bugs at this time.  So please don't worry.  I
think that everyone understands that during the application period,
which is usually near the end of a semester, it is often hard to find
time.

I'll take a look through your proposal when you send it, but it may be a
few days before I am able to respond.

Ryan Curtin    | "I am the luckiest man alive!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - General Borzov