[mlpack] [GSoC '16] Looking to Contribute

Rebeka Mukherjee rebekamukherjee at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 22:38:49 EST 2016

Hello,

My name is Rebeka Mukherjee. I am a CS undergraduate at Netaji Subhash
Engineering College, India. I am very eager to work with mlpack, possibly
through GSoC.

I am interested to work on Decision Trees. I have been studying and working
on classification and clustering algorithms for a while now. Currently I am
on a project that is about building Hadoop MapReduce tools for K-Means
algorithm with Expectation Mazimization, Fuzzy C-means and Genetic
Algorithm.

To get started, I have already built the mlpack library and compiled the
tutorial programs so I have a fair bit of idea about it now. I have also
been through the code of decision stumps code that was added to mlpack.
Instead of building on it to implement a full blown tree, I would prefer to
write a new class on one the efficient decision tree algorithms.

I have been through a few literature online that is available for
implementation and modification of ID3 and Random Forests. I have also gone
through the paper on Density Estimation Tree in the mlpack website. Please
let me know if there is any literature you would want me to refer to me.

I would be happy to hear from you.

Regards,
Rebeka Mukherjee