[mlpack] GSoC 2016 Project: Neuroevolution algorithms

Nakul Gulati nakgulati at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 22:12:28 EST 2016

Hi,

I am a final year Computer Science and Engineering student. I am interested
in contributing to the project *Neuroevolution algorithms* as part of GSoC
2016. Some of the courses completed which are relevant to this project are:
Data Structures and Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Soft Computing and
Artificial Neural Networks.

In order to get better understanding about the project and mlpack, the
following steps were taken:

   - Compiled and tested mlpack on OS X
   - Compiled and tested nes emulator communication code: during this I
   ended up crashing the emulator hosted on mario.urgs.org 4561, link to
   issue <https://github.com/zoq/nes/issues/1>. Which was promptly fixed
   by Marcus Edel, big shout out to him.

Currently I am studying the reading material, starting with the CNE
algorithm.

For scope of GSoC project I propose to start with the implementation of the
CNE algorithm at first and then move to a second (name would be specified
soon) if time permits.

I have little trouble setting up an exact timeline for the project. I would
love to hear your insight about the approach and timeline and if you think
what I propose is realistic.

--
Regards,
Nakul Gulati