[mlpack] GSoC

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Sun Mar 6 13:33:36 EST 2016

On Sun, Mar 06, 2016 at 03:43:56PM +0530, monish godhia wrote:
> Sir/Ma'am,
>         My name is Monish Godhia and I am a third year B.E. Hons Computer
> Science undergraduate student from BITS Pilani Hyderabad, India. My
> proficiency revolves around the areas of machine learning , C/C++, python
> and java.
>         I have successfully completed my projects with Google India (code
> for India) and also been a part of the idea that was appreciated by the
> elite panel of internet.org challenge by Facebook. Many of my developments
> can be checked through my github profile - *https://github.com/share-with-me/
> <https://github.com/share-with-me/>*
>         I have taken up courses on machine learning(securing a perfect
> grade of 10/10), data mining(ongoing) and data structures and algorithms. I
> mainly use scikit for various machine learning algorithms. However, after
> reading the GSoC list of projects by mlpack, I was very much keen to work
> on (one of/more) the following projects:
> 1.Fast k-centers Algorithm & Implementation
> 2.Essential Deep Learning Modules
> 3.We need to go deeper - GoogLeNet
> 4.Alternatives to neighborhood-based collaborative filtering
> 5.Approximate Nearest Neighbor Search
> 6.Dataset and experimentation tools

Hi there Monish,

This is a lot of possible projects to consider.  I might suggest that
you narrow your focus because each of these projects has a significant
amount of background knowledge that is necessary.

To learn more about each of the projects than what has been listed on
the Ideas page, take a look at the mailing list archives:

https://mailman.cc.gatech.edu/pipermail/mlpack/

You can find lots of information about the various projects contained in
email threads there.  Probably most of the useful information will be in
March and February 2016, but you may also consider looking at earlier
archives because there may have been some relevant discussion then.

Ryan Curtin    | "In honor of the last American hero, to whom speed
ryan at ratml.org | means freedom of the soul."  - Super Soul