[mlpack] [gsoc16]Getting in touch

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Mar 2 11:32:37 EST 2016

On Wed, Mar 02, 2016 at 07:30:58PM +0530, Ibrahim Dalal wrote:
> Dear mlpack community,
>
> I am a sophomore at Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad, India
> pursuing my Bachelor of Technology in the department of Computer Science
> and Engineering. I am interested in contributing to mlpack under GSoC'16.
>
> I have an intermediate level proficiency in C++ and have also done decent
> amount of coding in Python. Have recently completed Andrew Ng's ML on
> Coursera. As a part of my research internship, have gone through various
> face/object detection algorithms specially Viola-Jones'.
>
> As stated on getting involved page, I have installed mlpack and have
> started playing around with various command line tools. Can someone please
> guide me to my first patch? I request you to be as specific as possible, as
> the size of source code is a bit daunting to me.

Hi Ibrahim,

mlpack is indeed a large project so it can be difficult to know where to
get started.  Still, you will need to find something that is interesting
and engaging to you---I am not you, so I don't know what you will find
exciting.

Maybe you have already seen this page, but if not, I think it is a good
guide for how to get involved:

http://www.mlpack.org/involved.html

Finding a bug to fix can be done (like it says on that page) by taking a
look at the Issues list on Github:

http://www.github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues/

Note that issues are often tagged with some information, like a
difficulty, which might be helpful in finding something to work on.

Ryan Curtin    | "Aw, Brian's doing it again, dude.  Brian, you ain't
ryan at ratml.org | no pimp, dude."   "Where's my money?"