[mlpack] Interest in contributing to a long-term project for mlpack

Ryan Curtin ryan at ratml.org
Wed Feb 17 13:29:27 EST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 09:07:12PM +0530, Shashank Shekhar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am Shashank Shekhar, an undergraduate student interested in machine
> learning. I would like to contribute to mlpack for a long-term project
> either as part of GSoC 2016 (if mlpack is applying) or otherwise. I have
> compiled mlpack from source and am trying to work through the examples and
> tutorials as of now. I am familiar with fundamental machine learning
> algorithms and have knowledge of C++ and STL. I understand that my
> knowledge of mlpack and machine learning may not be at the level where I
> can start contributing to a large project and hence would like to ask for
> good places for a beginner to start for now.

Hi Shashank,

Good to meet you!  I'm sorry for the slow response.  mlpack is indeed
applying for GSoC 2016, and we'll know by the end of the month if we've
been accepted (according to the timeline).

I think maybe a good place to start might be some of the bugs with
"easy" difficulty on Github:

https://github.com/mlpack/mlpack/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3A%22D%3A+easy%22

#498 might be a lot of fun (I'd do it, but I haven't had time).

Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Thanks!

Ryan Curtin    | "And do not attempt to grow a brain!"
ryan at ratml.org |   - Sgt. Howard Payne